Gold priced in US$ has been declining from its high in August 2011. Wall street has it that it’s because the euro zone debt crisis is now under control, the US economy is recovering, inflation is low and the US unemployment situation is improving. Oh, not to forget there has been no more money printing and the Dow has gained some 20% since gold’s peak. In short, improving outlook has caused investors to move out of gold’s safe haven into riskier assets.
Less demand leads to lower gold prices as reflected in the chart below. Some analysts say the 11-year bull market in gold is over, gold is in a bubble that has or is about to bust.
If that be the case, clients of GoldMoney & BullionVault (two of the more established and popular physical gold dealer and custodians) have got it all wrong and hence are “of all men most to be pitied”. Look at how their collective gold holdings have been increasing relentlessly, even during periods of sharp price declines.
This short term chart covering the period since gold’s intermediate top in August 2011 shows steady increase of total holdings from quarter to quarter. The growth at BullionVault is particularly impressive.
The same goes for silver.
What then can be said of the apparent dichotomy between the declining trend in gold & silver prices and the increasing demand seen in the metal purchases? Just two words:
Paper & Physical
Prices reflected in the charts come about mainly by “traders” trading paper gold & silver. Traders is put between quotes because they are not the normal traders you’d expect to find in a free market. Most of the trades that determine the price trends are placed by very few large bullion banks and High Frequency Trading (HFT) machines. Yes, the prices are greatly influenced by trades initiated by machines preprogrammed with sophisticated algorithms to set the price which ever way the owners wanted them to go. In case you’re wondering, who may be the people on the other side of these trades? It’s people like this, who sets up trades hoping to beat the supercomputers on the other side only to get sucked in and forced to dump when their stops are hit.
On the other hand, real humans are behind the accumulation of physical metals at BullionVault, GoldMoney and many other private vaults. These are the same humans that do not believe the spin of the MSM, but hold on to the view that the financial crisis is not yet behind us. They believe that the worse is yet to come. I’m one of them. We understand that holding our savings and retirement funds in paper assets and paper money is most likely to result in a massive loss of purchasing power through hyperinflation when the real crisis hits.
We’re not 100% sure it will happen, neither can we be 100% sure it won’t happen.
What about you? Paper or physical?
- GoldMoney publishes quarterly audit reports, and they are archived here.
- BullionVault publishes daily audit report here.
- Learn more about Price Discovery – how are prices of gold & silver determined
- Why the current fraudulent Price Discovery Mechanism is being defended, and what’s ahead
- Listen to market analysts discuss gold & silver price manipulation
- Read about latest exposé that prices of PMs are indeed being suppressed
- “There are no buybacks” when prices decline - Andy Hoffman of Miles Franklin
- Gold price manipulation
- Silver price manipulation
- BullionVault & GoldMoney reviews, Detailed comparison of BullionVault & GoldMoney
The Race to Debase
Monitoring the Currency Wars
08 Feb Venezuala devalues Bolívars by 46%.
03 May China Brings Bitcoin to Its Populace. A new front in currency war?
04 Apr The BOJ unleashed the world’s most intense burst of monetary stimulus
01 Apr Currency auction puts Venezuela through new devaluation
02 Mar China is “fully prepared” for a currency war should one happen
20 Feb NZ$ falls on intervention comments
03 Feb Falling yen set to spark renewed currency wars
Currency Wars Simulation
21Mar: Societe Generale
Gold below $1,400 by end 2013
18Mar: Larry Edelson (Money&Markets)
Gold below $1,500, Silver below $20 "soon"
27Feb: Jim Sinclair (JSMineSet)
Current price correction ends by 27March
27Feb: Jim Sinclair (JSMineSet)
Gold will climb to $3500 & beyond
16Oct: Jeff Clark (Casey Research)
$2,300 gold by January 2014
05Sep: Bill Murphy (GATA)
$50 silver by year end
13Aug: James Turk (GoldMoney)
We won’t see $1580 gold & $27 silver again
12Aug: Bill Murphy's source
We could see a 100% increase in 90 days.
03Aug: HSBC Analysts
Gold to rally above $1,900 by end 2012
>> More forecasts & forecast accuracy
Peter Schiff: Watch to check out his understanding of Bitcoin
- Fed Lies & Propaganda Won’t Stop Gold & Silver Rise May 22, 2013
- Silver To Soar A Stunning 400% & Gold $1,500 In 10 Months May 22, 2013
- Gold, Silver & 100-Year Inflection Point To Crush The West May 21, 2013
- Richard Russell - I Haven’t Seen This In 60 Years Of Writing May 21, 2013
- Clients Denied Gold At Major Banks As Shortage Intensifies May 21, 2013
- The Big Upside Move In Gold & Silver Is Now In Front Of Us May 20, 2013
- Incredibly Important Developments In Gold & Silver Markets May 20, 2013
- Gold & Silver Smash & What Soros & Major Players Are Doing May 20, 2013
- Stunned Stocks Slide On Soaring Volume; Worst Swing Day In 5 Weeks May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- Four Signs That We're Back In Dangerous Bubble Territory May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- With One Hour Of Trading To Go, The Ghost Of Divergences Past Arrives May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- 180 Seconds After The FOMC Release, Hilsenrath Parses Fed Minutes May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- Post-FOMC: A Market Scorned May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- FOMC Minutes: This Is What It Sounds Like When Doves Cry, And When Others Start To See An Asset Bubble May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- Easy Come, Easy Go - Equities Turn Red May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden
- "Hawks, Doves, Owls And Seagulls" - Summarizing The Fed's Bird Nest May 22, 2013 Tyler Durden